Romans 6 impacted my life more than any other chapter in the Bible.
It’s theme: We are no longer slaves to sin.
We often think of sin as some immoral act. While that is true, it is not a complete definition. Sin is anything in our lives that speaks louder than God’s voice or His Word. Sin is anything we allow to control us – fear, addictions, anger, gluttony, lust, unforgiveness, jealousy,… anything that causes us to miss the mark.
But this morning I did not come to condemn (there is NO CONDEMNATION for those who are in Christ) but to remind us of who we are and what was WON for us. Romans 6 has some powerful truths that remind us, we don’t have to live in bondage to fear, addictions, anger or anything. Meditate on these truths:
1. We have been IMMERSED into union with Christ and into His death.
2. We have been CO-RESSURECTED with Him and therefore EMPOWERED to live a fresh new life, FREE of sin’s reign.
3. Our former identity (which included our sin patterns) has been permanently DEPRIVED of its power over us.
4. We were CO-CRUCIFIED with Him so that the power of sin within us no longer has authority over us.
5. Since we are JOINED with him, we must continually view ourselves as DEAD and UNRESPONSIVE to sin’s appeal while living daily for God’s pleasure in union with Jesus.
6. Sin is a DETHRONED MONARCH and therefore we are no longer forced to answer its call. We have the right and the power to refuse sin’s call. Answer God’s call to live HOLY unto Him.
7. Grace has FREED us to choose our own master. But choose WISELY. If we CHOOSE to love sin, it will become our MASTER until we WAKE UP, break the alliance and choose to allow RIGHTEOUSNESS to become our MASTER once again.
8. In the past, sin was our master. But now, we CELEBRATE our freedom. We LEFT sin’s BONDAGE and now we are the RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD IN CHRIST JESUS.
Friends, walk in the Freedom that was won for you on Calvary. Break alliance with sin. Remember who you are –
Immersed in Christ. Co-resurrected. Empowered. Co-crucified. Reborn. Joined with Christ. Dead and unresponsive to sin. Free. Wise. Woke. Righteous.
Don’t enthrone a dethroned monarchy in your life.
“For sin’s meager wages is death, but God’s lavish gift is life eternal, found in your union with our Lord Jesus, the Anointed One.”
Romans 6:23 TPT