HOPE! In the midst of the chaos, the disappointment, the isolation, the loss of income, the abundance of bad news, I keep hearing the word, “Hope.”
If I am honest, I must admit, everyday, I have had to fight for Hope. I have had to fight to not give into despair, fear, disappointment. I am not always successful. Sometimes, if I am not careful, I can give in to the hysteria but thanks be to God, my good moments far outweigh my bad.
So here is how I am winning the battle and maintaining Hope:
1. STAY IN THE WORD. Paul wrote: “Whatever was written beforehand is meant to instruct us in how to live. The Scriptures impart to us encouragement and inspiration so that we can live in hope and endure all things.” (Romans 15:4 TPT)
2. WORSHIP. David declared: “Why, my soul, are you so dejected? Why are you in such turmoil? Put your hope in God, for I will still praise him, my Savior and my God.” Psalms 42:5 CSB
3. HEAR HIS VOICE. Spend time in prayer. Not just giving God your “to-do” list, but allowing Him to speak to your heart and calm your fears. Journal what He says. Allow God to comfort you. He has promised: “The Lord your God is among you, a warrior who saves. He will rejoice over you with gladness. He will be quiet in his love. He will delight in you with singing.”” Zephaniah 3:17
4. BLESS OTHERS. Encourage others. Pray for them. Help others see God. Jesus promised: “Give, and it will be given to you; a good measure — pressed down, shaken together, and running over — will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.””
Luke 6:38 As you sow Hope, Hope will be returned.
5. GUARD YOUR EYES, EARS, AND MOUTH. Feed your spirit well – Word, worship, His voice should be your primary diet. Starve your anxiety. Turn off the news. Scroll through FB feed carefully. Avoid negative Nellies. The writer of Proverbs encourages us: “Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life. Don’t let your mouth speak dishonestly, and don’t let your lips talk deviously. Let your eyes look forward; fix your gaze straight ahead.” Proverbs 4:23-25 CSB
Brothers and sisters, I encourage you to cultivate Hope. Become prisoners of Hope.
Let me pray for your this morning.
Father, you are a God of hope. Fill us with joy and peace. Overflow us with Hope. Show us your goodness. Like you did for Elisha’s servant, open our eyes to see you at work in the middle of the chaos. Comfort our hearts as we grieve the loss of loved ones, the loss of jobs, interruption of plans. Open our eyes to see beyond today and into our glorious future. Give us a heart of gratitude and thanksgiving. Make us prisoners of hope. May our hope be contagious. Lord, by the power of the Holy Spirit, overflow us with Hope. Amen.”
“Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you believe so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
Romans 15:13 CSB