David’s life suddenly resembled the lyrics of a country music song. He had been expelled from his homeland. A king sought his life. He had been robbed. His two wives and children were kidnapped. His closest friends talked of stoning him.
But David’s response was priceless. He did not complain. He did not blame. He did not wallow in self-pity. He did not question God.
David’s first response was to: STRENGTHEN HIMSELF IN THE LORD, HIS GOD.
How exactly does one strengthen themselves in the Lord?
Here are some things I do. Unfortunately it’s usually after I have complained and had a pity party. But eventually, i come to my senses and remember whose I am, and strengthen myself in Him. This may look differently for everyone, but this what I do:
1. I read scripture and find promises related to my situation. I meditate on them, declare them, pray them.
2. I ask God for a greater revelation of His love for me.
3. I mediate on God’s goodness and his majesty.
4. I ask God to give me a prophetic word, vision, or dream.
5. I worship.
6. I see beyond myself and my situation. I pray and minister to others.
If your life resembles the lyrics of a country music song, strengthen yourself in the Lord. Let His Holy Spirit bring you peace, joy, and hope.
And then, inquire of God for next steps and go take back everything the enemy stole from you. Let nothing be missing.
“David was in an extremely difficult position because the troops talked about stoning him, for they were all very bitter over the loss of their sons and daughters. But David found strength in the Lord his God.”
1 Samuel 30:6 CSB