Five things to know when temptation comes knocking at your door:
1. Know who you are – righteous, holy, set apart, a royal priesthood, chosen. When tempted by his boss’ wife, Joseph reply was that he could not sin against God. He knew he was destined for great things and did not allow momentary pleasure to deter him.
2. Know your purpose and walk in it. David greatest moral failure occurred when he was not where he was suppose to be as king.
3. Know your future. It is easy to say no to something now in order to say yes to a greater tomorrow. The Bible tells us to write our vision on the wall as a reminder of where we are going. Keeping our eyes on the prize prevents us from being distracted.
4. Know you are an overcomer. The Bible has promised you will never be tempted beyond what you can bear. So whatever temptation you are facing, know you have the stamina, the fortitude, to say no.
5. Know the enemies lies. The enemy is always tempting us with shortcuts and counterfeits to usurp the word of God. But here are few statements of truth: “Everyone is not doing it.” “It will not make you better, stronger, richer, more popular, more of a man.” “There is another way. ”
We all face temptation in one form or another. But armed with knowledge of who you are in Christ, why you are on this planet, where you are going, the power within, and the ability to recognize the enemies lies, you can say no to ungodliness and yes to a life of righteousness! Go out today and live like who you are, the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.
“But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.”
1 Peter 2:9-10 MSG