Fear is dastardly. It’s job is to distract and dismay us from doing what we are called to do – love people. Fear separates. Fear sows seeds us of distrust. Fear believes the worst in people. Fear causes us to lock our doors, close our blinds, secure our resources and protect ourselves from “them”. Fear is a liar.
But if I allow fear to set my agenda, I have allowed the enemy to win and anyone who knows me know I’m not going down like that. So, as I travel to Mexico in a few days, to love people, I’m going to learn a few lessons from Joshua.
1. God has promised every place the soul of my foot tread, is mine to have. So I tread with confidence. Inside of me is the light of the world, so I push back darkness everywhere I go. I spread peace everywhere I go. I change the atmosphere everywhere I go. I leave a sweet aroma of His presence everywhere I go.
2. Because of the Holy Spirit, I am strong and courageous.
3. I know because of the atoning work of God, I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. Because of Jesus’ perfect obedience I am successful everywhere I go.
4. I will meditate on and declare His promises and His goodness so my heart won’t faint. I will recall His promises and stand on them in times of difficulty so that I will be successful wherever I go.
5. The Lord has commanded me to be strong and courageous and not to be afraid. Because He has promised that He will be with me wherever I go. If He is for me, who can be against me?
6. I refuse to be dismayed or discouraged. I will not be impressed with the works of the enemy. I know my God is stronger, my God is greater, my God is higher than any other. But not only that, greater is He that is within me than He that is in the world!
So goodbye fear. So long angst. I’ve got some ground to take. I’ve got some treading to do!
“I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”” Joshua 1:3, 6-9 NIV