I’m headed back to work today after a short, busy, exciting, productive summer. My question this morning is what is my purpose at work? Yea, yea, I know my purpose is to prepare kids for college, but what is my true purpose? Why am I here on this planet? What are our purposes as those who have been redeemed by the blood?
Perhaps Peter’s writings can give us some insight:
1. We are a chosen people. We re-present Jesus to the world. We are salt and light. We demonstrate God’s love to a dying world through kindness, patience, and generosity.
2. We are a holy priesthood. We intercede to God on behalf of pre-Christians. Our job is not to judge, pronounce judgement or criticize. We stand in the gap, presenting unbelievers to God.
3. We are a holy nation. We demonstrate the power of Grace that teaches us to say no to ungodliness. We demonstrate to the world the freedom that comes from being set free from the bondage and chains of fear, addictions, and sin.
4. We are God’s special possession. We demonstrate what it is like to have the favor of God. We may go through things, but we do it as people with a hope. We do it as people who are confident that we will see the goodness of God in the land of the living. We show the world what it’s like to have joy, a hope, and peace because we are loved by the Father.
5. We declare His praises. We tell our story. We tell how while we were sinners, Christ died for us! We tell of His love, His goodness, His faithfulness. We proclaim His mercy and His grace. We make people hungry for Him.
So this morning, get out of bed, go about your day knowing that You are chosen, Royal, holy, and special. Get excited because you get to be you for all the world to see!
“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”
1 Peter 2:9 NIV