I had a great conversation with a friend who co-pastors a small church in Holly Springs. We were dreaming about what the church should look like. Yesterday after speaking with another friend, I started dreaming about what the perfect church body would look like for me. Here is my list:
1. I want a church body that is diverse – from the leadership to the members. I want a church body that is truly a house of prayer for all nations.
2. I want a church body where every person is valued. Every person is encouraged to walk in their gifts and serve. Where people know or are learning their identity in Christ are being released to walk in that knowledge.
3. I want a church that has a joyful expression of worship (preferably with Gospel Music). Where we can clap, dance, and exuberantly praise our God.
4. I want a church where the Word is taught with power and accompanied with miracles, signs, and wonders.
5. I want a church where prayer is as natural as breathing.
6. I want a church that ministers to both the physical and spiritual needs of their surrounding community.
As I was writing this, God said, “Um, Melissa, YOU are the church. You take church everywhere you go.”
Wow! So maybe I should stop dreaming about what the church should look like and become what I want my church to look like.
So maybe I should surround myself with people from all nations. Maybe I should value and encourage those in my sphere of influence as I walk in my gifts. Maybe I should teach God’s Word with power and pray without ceasing. Maybe I should be the hands and feet of God for my community. Maybe I should be the church I want.
Do you have a list of what your perfect church would like? Make your list. Then BE THE CHURCH YOU WANT!
“After this I looked, and there was a vast multitude from every nation, tribe, people, and language, which no one could number, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were clothed in white robes with palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: Salvation belongs to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb!” Revelation 7:9-10 CSB